Chicken and Egg soup
This chicken soup is a great recipe for the whole family, with enough chicken left over to make a chicken salad the next day. 2 meals in one. Soup serves 4-6.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic head cut in half
- 2 ptrs cold water
- 4 carrots (chop them chunky)
- 4 brown onions, diced
- 2 leeks diced
- 1/2 celery head, chopped chunky
- 1tsp sea salt and pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 whole free range chicken (take the skin off to reduce the fat in your soup)
- 1 egg per person to poach on top
- 500g gluten free pasta (optional, if you want to add more carbs for the kids or a big workout day)
- In a large pan cook the onion, leeks, garlic, thyme and bay leaves in the oil, till soft. Approx 6 mins.
- Skin the chicken. Add water and chicken to the pan and bring to boil. Then simmer for 45 mins.
- Add celery, carrots and cook for further 5 mins then remove chicken and place to one side.
- Add pasta and cook for further 8 mins (or until cooked), stirring to prevent clumping.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then crack the egg on top to poach, approx 3 mins.
- To serve, remove both legs and separate drumstick from the thigh. Place one piece of chicken into each bowl and ladle the stock, veg and one egg on top.
Use the left over chicken for a salad the next day.
Enjoy and let me know if you make any adaptations to the recipe and if it works.
Recipe adapted from The living room website