Why not try a healthier version of bolognese, spiralised zucchini bolognese is a fresher, healthier version of traditional spag bol.
- 250g beef mince (good quality) This can be adapted with chicken, turkey mince, etc.
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes, no added salt or sugar.
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp dried basil
- 1⁄4 tsp chopped basil
- 1⁄2 tsp oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized (or grated lengthways if you don’t have a spiralizer)
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- Spiralize the zucchinis and place on a paper towel to dry out any excess moisture. Adding a small sprinkle of sea salt at this stage can also help the process.
- In a large saucepan melt 1 tsp of oil and brown the minced meat, stir and break up any big bits.
- Drain fat from the meat and then add the onions, cook for 5 mins until onions are soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and herbs, bring to the boil then simmer for 30-40 mins.
- For the noodles add 1 tsp of coconut oil to a large non-stick frying pan on medium to high heat. Add the zucchini noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Place some of the noodles on a plate and top with the Bolognese mix and an extra basil leaf for decoration.
This recipe serves two.
Let me know if you give this zucchini bolognese a go and if you enjoy it. For some other healthy recipes have a look on my news page. Try this chilli prawn stir fry